Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Savor the Travel

Travel can be a plethora of paradoxes. 

Excitement in journeying to new places. 

Boredom in waiting. 

Hurrying to prepare; hastening to pack. 

Slowness of traffic and lines. Waiting for delays to clear. 

The best way (I have decided) to endure the best and worst in traveling is: 

Make mini-goals (I will get up and stretch in an airport every 15 minutes and in a plane every 30-60 minutes). 

Order what you want, within reason, and without apology. 




(Even things that are on one's diet.) 



Wait in a place that is beautiful, and get to the cattle-call of the gate only when necessary. 

Take the time to be still on the plane. It can (paradoxically) make a long flight seem shorter. I read Pico Iyer's The Art of Stillness a few months ago and have loved what I learned from reading it. I even gave it to a new friend (with whom I will make music in November) and she said it really helped a recent trip she had overseas ... 

"Read as you taste fruit or savor wine, or enjoy friendship, love, and life." - George Herbert





No comments:

Post a Comment