Monday, August 15, 2016


{I'm at the midway-point through the program of OperaWorks. This is my first time on faculty here and it's a joy to be here for four weeks. 
 
The curriculum here is very much based on the joy of creation. Thus, it contains a lot of improvisation and play.}

It’s now mid-August, or about a month after I began this post. I returned home on July 25th and have been home for now a period of three weeks. I know that I’ve taken the “best” of what that program has to offer, and in doing so, am closer to answering some long-time questions that I have. 

The questions were,

”Why record a solo CD?” 
“Who will buy it or listen to it?"
“What value do these add to my market?"
“Are these my own voice?" 
 
 

My siblings have been after me for a long time about “solo material,” knowing that I mostly earn my living playing with, or for, others. 

The project:

Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Volume II (on harpsichord)
Shostakovich, Preludes and Fugues, Opus 87 (on piano) 

And:

Some improvisations - my own “voice” tying the pieces together. 

Here’s the first one, recorded casually in one take (on my iPhone) - 
 
Please return to read more about the process ...
 
PHOTO: a "Bach" in Colorado (March, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment