Saturday, January 16, 2016

The effort in noticing

Over the Christmas break, I noticed that I had a lot more scope - and space - for the imagination.

I noticed and remembered things about my teenage years, now bygone, that I hadn't thought about for a very long time.

There was a period of two years, following Oberlin, when I was living my own flat for the first time. I knew *nothing* about housekeeping, decorating, cooking, dating, or being a very young professional musician in a large musical community.




Yet there I was.

Some close friendships forged in those years remain close to this day. And I still remember being happy, non-judgemental on my self, and have fond memories of the coffee shop and grocery store nearby.

Sometimes we ask, how can our "older" self be a gift to our younger self. That question is on the point of absurd. It's impossible.






It is entirely possible, however, to have the past teach the present.




Therein lies the reason for this blog.

We've had more snow here in January than last. (We didn't have any in the northeast for Christmas!). It has yielded some gorgeous pictures and moments. Now that Zheng is teaching during the day in addition to evenings, I am without a car altogether. My commute is by foot.




I'm able to stop, breathe, and take pictures.




Even the ordinary can stop us in our tracks.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment